Can 120 volts hurt you? You better believe it! In this powerful video demonstration, the Internet Electrician shows the effects of 120 volts on a hot dog weiner, and draws a parallel between the damage done to it and the potential harm to a DIYer not following home electrical safety practices.
The lesson here? Always, always, always, check to make sure the power is off to a circuit BEFORE you attempt any home electrical wiring project! Use a voltage tester or radio to confirm the power is off.
This video is a short, but informative video clip from a national television show that I appeared in several years ago. I served as the electrical expert, answered live calls from people across the country, and provided educational tips and home electrical wiring advice targeted towards the DIY audience.
Remember – safety first!
– Terry Peterman, the Internet Electrician